To encourage participation, we assign Professional Development (PD) credits to each event or activity that we sponsor. Members receive credit by attending a variety of activities and gain access to further benefits after accumulating credit.
5 PD credits grants access to free University Extension courses and reduced admission to the Business of Science Program.
20 PD credits awards a certificate of completion that can be added to Resumes/CVs/LinkedIn Profiles to highlight professional development.
Rubric for PD Credit Accrual
Events that fall within each element are assigned the following credit:
Explore (1 PD credit/event or specific activity)
- Types of events and activities – Career seminars featuring one or more speakers, Completion of myIDP assessments and LinkedIn profile.
Train (2 PD credits/event)
- Types of events and activites – Skills workshops, Elevator pitch competitions, UCI Extension courses**, Science Communication Skills**, Business of Science Certificate Program**
Experience (Internship/job shadowing experiences will be included under core competencies and will not be assigned credit)
- Types of activities: Internships, Externships (Job Shadowing)
Transition (2 credits/event or specific activity)
- Types of events and activities – On campus networking mixers, local networking mixers, GPS-BIOMED LinkedIn Group member, Participation in alumni networking program.
**These events will be assigned minimal credit, but are considered GPS-BIOMED core competencies.
Certificate of Completion
- Upon completion of the program or accumulation of at least 20 of PD credits, members will be awarded a GPS-BIOMED Professional Development Certificate that can be added to Resumes/CVs to highlight professional development.
- Members can view PD credits assigned to events/activities and track individual participation here: PD credit Accrual
Congratulations to the following GPS-BIOMED members for a receiving a professional development certificate!
Ankita Shukla, Ph.D. Candidate in Molecular Biology & Biochemistry
Ashley Fong, Ph.D. (Alumna, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry)
Candice Gellner, Ph.D. Candidate in Pharmacology
Ellen Wann, Ph.D. Candidate in Neurobiology & Behavior
Emilie Montellier, Ph.D., Postdoc in Biological Chemistry
Jessica Bolton, Ph.D., Postdoc in Anatomy & Neurobiology
Jessica Hsieh, Ph.D. Candidate in Biomedical Engineering
Luz Meneghini, Ph.D. (Alumna, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry)
Morgan Ingemanson, Ph.D. Candidate in Anatomy & Neurobiology
Nayna Sanathara, Ph.D. (Alumna, Pharmacology)
Scott Lee, Ph.D. (Alumnus,Molecular Biology & Biochemistry)