The decision to pursue a nonacademic career is a major step and internships can provide valuable experience that will allow candidates to (1) improve their qualifications and (2) make informed decisions. Furthermore, internships are not just for undergraduates any more! Our program works closely with graduate students and postdocs seeking to gain experience in local and national companies as well as on-campus departments.
On-campus internship opportunities are offered through:
- Applied Innovation Invention Transfer Group
- California Community College Internship Program (cccip_flyer)
- UCI & GPS Science Communication Group (offered to select members who take Science Communication Skills)
- Ayala School of Biological Science’s Office of Research Development (launching 2017)
- UCI Office of Community and Federal Relations (launching 2017)
The following biotechnology companies (many of them local) have internship programs that graduate students can apply to:
If you are interested in participating in an internship, we encourage you to research companies and opportunities. The UCI Career Center Job/Internship Database provides an extensive list of companies within diverse career sectors (beyond biotech) to explore. Our program has assisted both graduate students and postdocs obtain internships through alumni and HR connections and interview preparation.
If an internship is not right for you as you complete your graduate training, many larger companies have postdoctoral programs to consider! Below is a brief list:
- Eli Lilly
- EMD Serono
- Ionis Pharmaceuticals
- Pfizer: Oncology-Rinat Research