2020 Course Curriculum
April 24, 2020 - June 12, 2020 (3:30 - 5:00 on Fridays)
Welcome to the 2nd offering of Business Concepts for STEM scientists certificate course - Online.
This course is a collaboration between GPS-STEM & UCI Beall Applied Innovation to help PhD students & Postdocs understand the business jargon, business concepts and functional aspects, which are the basis of any company. These modules are a series of lectures, guest presentations and hands-on activities that will help you understand Business Model Canvas and its applications in STEM based companies. The course is generously funded by University Lab Partners (ULP), a wet lab incubator space.
Innovative elements of the 2020 course:
- Due to the current COVID19 pandemic situation, all the modules will be offered Online! The sessions will be conducted over Zoom with teamwork in virtual breakout rooms. Live business pitch competition will take place in webinar format.
- The course modules will be built upon the last year’s business course teachings. Therefore, the participants are encouraged to watch last year’s business model canvas videos.
- Training sessions for business pitch competition. This year we have added a learning session by Activate to Captivate on how to work in teams as you prepare to present your business pitch.
- Jobs in the business sector. This module will discuss job descriptions and job titles for STEM scientists based on the business model canvas.
- The business pitch competition will be live online!
Course Instructions board. Please keep track of all the updates related to the course, assignments & content.
Course Curriculum: Business Concepts for STEM Scientists
|1: April 24||Business concepts course overview
Meet each other, get an overview of the entire series, grasp the ethical context for business, understand Business Model Canvas and ‘value equation’.
Resources: Watch 2019 Modules 2&3 to gain a deeper understanding of the Business Model Canvas (Video link will be shared only with the enrolled members)
Director of New Ventures,
|2: May 1||Business model canvas dynamics and the search for value
Resources: Watch 2019 business model canvas presentation competition winners
Technology Marketing Center
|3: MAY 8||Increasing value with product/market fit assessment
Teamwork: Finalize your business concept and customer segments/value propositions (In class - Zoom breakout rooms)
Technology Marketing Center
|4: May 15||Campus resources and your business model canvas||
|5: May 22||Distinguished guest speakers
|6: May 29||Finding job opportunities for STEM scientists within the business model canvas
This workshop will be presented by the Founder of a curriculum-based, community forum supported, comprehensive career transition platform for STEM PhDs to transition from academia into new career paths and unleash their potential.
|Vania Cao, PhD.|
|7: June 5||Training sessions on how to pitch your business model canvas
The workshop will help course participants in polishing their presentation skills, understand team dynamics during business pitch presentation. During this session, the teams will practice their business pitch with Bri McWhorter.
Activate to Captivate
|8: June 12|| Final presentations - Business Pitch Competition
||Business pitches will be Judged by professionals from business sector|
Instructors & Coordinators:
- Chris Halliwell, MBA. Executive Director, Technology Marketing Center
- Matthew Hanson, Ph.D. Director of New Ventures, UCI Beall Applied Innovation
- Steve Hyun, PhD, Senior Licensing Officer, UCI Beall Applied Innovation
- Vania Cao, PhD.
- Bri McWhorter, MFA. Activate to Captivate
- Harinder Singh, PhD. Director, GPS-STEM
- Prof. David Fruman, Academic Director, GPS-STEM
- Chloe Hsieh, Entrepreneur Experiences Coordinator, UCI Beall Applied Innovation
Register Now!!! Business Concepts for STEM Scientists-2020
Registration for the course: In 2019, we charged the participants a reimbursable fee of $20 to ensure attendance before awarding certificates. For this year's registrants, we expect everyone to attend all the classes (1 absence allowed)#, participate in teamwork exercise and present your business pitch in teams at the end to receive certificate of completion*. This is a requirement for the course.
*In the registration page, please agree to the this mandatory requirement for attending the course free of cost. We will keep track of attendance, time spent over online sessions (tracker), team formation, team participation and pitch competition.
#You can be excused only for 1 session due to unavoidable circumstances. In that case, we will share the recording of that class with you.