In 2017 LinkedIn released an Emerging Jobs Report highlighting careers that have grown rapidly over the past five years and are projected to continue growing. Machine learning, Data Science and Big Data Development top this list as employers seek candidates who are able to navigate data sets, extract questions and define solutions. Having a PhD is viewed as strength for these careers. However, similar to breaking into the business sector, trainees can’t ignore important professional skills that will help them excel in corporate environments. Companies and startups look to hire not only engineers and data scientists, but also strong leaders who can manage teams. Below we share more details from the Emerging Jobs report and list training programs to help you prepare for a job in data science.
Examples of Emerging Positions:
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Data Scientists
- Data Analyst
- Systems Engineer
- Research Associate
- Software Engineer
Top Professional and Technical Skills for Emerging Positions:
- Management experience
- Knowledge of sales & marketing (with emphasis on analytics)
- Computing languages including Java, Python and C
- Cloud computing
- Software development
Top Soft Skills for Emerging Positions:
- Cultural fluency
- Ability to collaborate
- Project Management
UCI resources that provide training, address skill gaps & build networks:
- Data Science Initiative. Offers 1-day short courses on topics such as data analysis software (R, Python), data management, and predictive modeling, as well as a certificate in Data Science.
- UCI Division of Continuing Education offers a variety of courses and certificates within Data Science, Analytics and Computer Programming. Many of these courses can be taken online or in the evening.
Additional resources to address skill gaps & build networks:
- Insight Data Science Fellowships. Four fellowship opportunities in Data Science, Health Data Science, Data Engineering, and Artificial Intelligence. 7 week program tuition free in New York, Seattle, Boston, Silicon Valley, and remote locations.
- Insight Health Data Science. Intensive 7 week program for PhDs leading to a career in health data science. Free program sponsored by mentoring companies in Boston or Silicon Valley.
- Data Science Incubator. Cornell-funded data science training organization comprised of an 8-week fellowship for PhDs looking to enter industry. Program is free for admitted fellows. New york, San Fransisco, Seattle, Boston, Washington DC or online.
- Ada Developer Academy. 6-mo training program located in Seattle, Washington for women and gender diverse people who want to become software developers. Ada is tuition-free and is comprised of full-time classroom training followed by 5 months in a paid industry internship.
- LinkedIn’s 2017 U.S. Emerging Jobs Report. Summary report published by LinkedIn using data from the last five year.
- Do I Need an Advanced Degree to Become a Data Scientist? Article featured in Forbes
- From Doctorate to Data Science: A very Short Guide. Blog featured in Nature Jobs.