Harinder.Singh, Ph.D., Previously, Harinder served as the Associate Director for the NIH-BEST funded program, GPS-BIOMED from 2018 – 2019. He earned Doctorate in Cardiovascular biology (Lipid-rafts/Caveolae in vascular health & disease) from Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia (2014) and conducted Postdoctoral training in Neurosciences (G-proteins in Major Depressive Disorder) at University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) (2014-2018). Harinder served many executive roles in Chicago based Scientist organization, CHIentist, dedicated to providing a networking platform for junior researchers & industry professionals. He was appointed to the Board of Directors of science advocacy organization, Future of Research, with a mission to engage & empower early career scientists with evidence based resources in improving the scientific research endeavor. As the leader of UC Irvine’s GPS-STEM program, Harinder is dedicated to finding solutions that broaden research training, foster relationships between academia<>private sector & raise awareness on how academic discoveries advance society.
Contact Information: 4143 Natural Sciences-II, Irvine, CA 92697, (949) 824-8372 (office), email@example.com
David Fruman, Ph.D., Previously, David served as the Director of NIH-BEST funded GPS-BIOMED program from 2014 – 2019. Currently, he is the Professor in the Department of Molecular Biology & Biochemistry in the School of Biological Sciences at UC Irvine. In the past, he served as the director of the Cellular & Molecular Biosciences (CMB) interdepartmental Ph.D. program.
Contact Information: 3407 McGaugh Hall, Irvine, CA 92697, (949) 824-1947 (office), David.firstname.lastname@example.org
GPS-BIOMED/GPS-STEM Leadership in the News!
Emma Flores-Kim, PhD., served as Associate Director of GPS-BIOMED program until September 2018. She received her doctorate in neurosciences from Northwestern University, Chicago. She also served as Co-director of bioEXCEL and chemEXCEL, summer bridge programs designed to prepare incoming freshman of diverse background for success at Northwestern University. Currently, she is a Medical Writer at NeoTract, responsible for preparing, editing, and reviewing publications, reports, and scientific literature reviews. She collaborates with cross-functional teams to drive the dissemination of clinical publications for Class II medical device products.
Meet our BESTerns (Broadening Experiences in Scientific Training Interns)
Sharon Jan, Editor, GPS-BIOMED Newsletter.
Sharon is a PhD student in the department of Physiology & Biophysics working on antigen capture & delivery system for subunit vaccines, namely Coxiella burnetii.
BESTernship Motivations: Sharin is interested in developing professional skills in scientific communication and networking. During internship, she also wants to discover careers beyond the bench!
Joanne Ly, Multimedia Director.
Joanne is a biomedical engineering PhD student developing low cost ultrasound device for therapeutic application in neurological diseases.
BESTernship Motivations: Joanne would like to expand her professional network as well as develop writing, multimedia, and project management skills.
GPS-STEM Program Advisory Committee:
- David Fruman, Senior Director/Academic Director, GPS-STEM
- Harinder Singh, Director, GPS-STEM (Currently Associate Director, GPS-BIOMED)
- Michael Mulligan, Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, Dept. of Development and Cell Biology
- Klemens J Hertel, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, School of Medicine
- Fadi Kurdahi, Associate Dean for Graduate & Professional Studies, Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Karina Cramer, Director, Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program (INP), Professor of Neurobiology & Behavior
- Frithjof Kruggel, Professor Biomedical Engineering
- Matthew Hanson, Director – New Ventures at UCI Applied Innovation
- Terrance R. Mayes, Associate Vice Chancellor of Diversity & Inclusion – Chief Diversity Officer, Susan and Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences, Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Luis Mota-Bravo, Director, Outreach, Research Training & Minority Science Programs, Office of the Dean
- Daniel Mann, Director of Graduate Student & Postdoctoral Scholar Instructional Development, Division of Teaching Excellence & Innovation
- Christopher Vanderwal, Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Lauren Lyon, Graduate Career Counselor, Division of Career Pathways
- Yergalem T. Meharenna, Training Grant Officer, UCI
- Kayleigh Anderson, Postdoctoral Affairs & Professional Development Manager
- Joanne Ly, PhD student, BESTern, GPS-BIOMED/GPS-STEM
- Sharon Jan, PhD student and BESTerns, GPS-BIOMED/GPS-STEM
GPS-BIOMED (now GPS-STEM) Program Co-Investigators
Karina Cramer, Ph.D., Associate Professor in the Department of Neurobiology & Behavior in the School of Biological Sciences
Andrej Luptak, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, and Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
John Lowengrub, Ph.D., Chancellor’s Professor in the Departments of Mathematics, Biomedical Engineering, and Chemical Engineering and Materials Science
Christopher Vanderwal, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Chemistry and Chancellor’s Faculty Fellow
Christine E. McLaren, Ph.D., Professor and Vice Chair for Faculty Affairs, Department of Epidemiology
Ulrike Luderer, MD, Ph.D., MPH, Associate Professor of Medicine in the School of Medicine and holds secondary appointments in Developmental and Cell Biology and the Program in Public Health
Frithjof Kruggel, MD, Ph.D, Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Oladele Ogunseitan, Ph.D., MPH, Professor of Public Health and Director of Research, Education, Training and Career Development for the Institute for Clinical and Translational Science (ICTS)